How to Renew Medical Marijuana Card in Iowa
To renew an expired Iowa medical marijuana card:
- Download and Print the Required Forms: The first step to renewing your medical cannabidiol registry card is to download and print the healthcare practitioner certification (HCPC) form and bring it to your certifying provider. The HCPC form is available on the Iowa Department of Health and Human Services website
- Prepare the Required Forms and Items: Prepare the following items for your renewal application:
- HCPC form: This form may be scanned as one page or a photo or scan of each of the 3 pages
- 4.5g THC Waiver Form: This form is optional. It is only applicable if you are certified for a terminal illness or if your certifying physician recommends the use of additional THC beyond the 4.5 grams per 90-day limit
- Your Photo ID: This may be your Iowa driver's license or non-operator state ID. It may be a scan or photo of the front side of the document
- Proof of reduced fee, if applicable: This document may be a scan of your actual card or award letter
- Payment info using debit, credit, or electronic check
- Visit the OMC Patient Registration portal: Visit the online patient registration on the Iowa DHHS website and select "Yes, I am a renewing patient." You will be required to provide your email address and registration number. Note that your registration number is available on your previous card. Also, you must use the same email used the previous year
- Fill out the online application and Upload the Required Documents: You must provide personal information such as your name, gender, race, ethnicity, date of birth, and driver's license or state ID number. After, you must upload your passport-style photo, HCPC form, and reduced fee verification document, if applicable
- Sign the Attestation: Once you select submit, an attestation statement will appear, prompting you to complete an electronic signature
- Complete your Payment: After signing the attestation, you will be prompted to a payment screen where you must pay the $100 standard fee or $25 discounted fee
- Wait for Approval: When your application is reviewed, you will receive an email stating the application has been approved or pending information. You will get an approval email with your digital card attached as a PDF if approved. If pending information, you will receive an email stating which items are missing. You will use the link in the email to upload the missing items or complete the required payment
For more information on renewing Iowa medical cannabidiol registry ID cards, see the patient renewal guide or contact the medical cannabidiol program by email at email@example.com, or phone at (515) 725-2076.
Does Iowa Allow Medical Marijuana Card Renewal Online?
Yes. Medical cannabidiol registry cardholders in Iowa can renew their registry ID cards online. Patients will be notified by email or letter 60 days before their cards expire. To renew the card, a patient must visit their healthcare practitioner to have their qualifying condition recertified. Afterward, the patient must submit the forms used during the initial application process to the Iowa Department of Health and Human Services and provide the necessary payment.
How Often Do You Have to Renew Your Medical Marijuana Card in Iowa?
Iowa medical cannabis registration cards are valid for 1 year and must be renewed annually.
Do You Need a Medical Marijuana Card Renewal Doctor in Iowa?
Iowa medical cannabidiol program rules require patients to visit their healthcare practitioner to have their condition recertified before they may renew their registry ID cards. Under the program rules, a healthcare practitioner means:
- An individual licensed under Chapter 148 as a doctor or medicine or osteopathic doctor;
- A physician assistant licensed under Chapter 148C;
- An advanced practice registered nurse (APRN) under Chapter 152E, who is a patient’s primary care provider; or
- A podiatrist licensed pursuant to Chapter 149
Iowa Medical Marijuana Card Renewal Cost
Except if you have a valid proof of participating in a government assistance program such as Medicaid, Supplemental Security Income Payment, Healthy and Well Kids-Iowa, or Social Security Disability Insurance, you must pay $100 to renew a medical cannabis registration card. If you are a beneficiary of any of these programs, you are eligible to pay a discounted application fee of $25. A consultation fee may also be required when you visit your physician to recertify your qualifying condition. This fee ranges between $100 and $300, depending on the physician consulted.
Where to Do Medical Marijuana Card Renewal Near Me in Iowa
The Iowa Office of Medical Cannabis does not accept initial or renewal applications at any physical locations. Applicants are required to complete their applications online or by mail to the Iowa Bureau of Medical Cannabidiol at the Department of Health and Human Services.
Can I Use a Medical Marijuana Card from Another State in Iowa?
An active medical cannabidiol registration card issued under the laws of another state allowing the patient to possess or use medical cannabidiol in that state has the same effect as a valid Iowa medical cannabidiol registration card as long as the products meet the requirements of Iowa’s medical cannabidiol program. However, out-of-state patients cannot purchase products at Iowa dispensaries. Hence, while a medical marijuana cardholder from another state may be able to possess medical cannabidiol products in Iowa, they cannot purchase from Iowa medical cannabidiol dispensaries.